Monday 26 January 2009

Feedback on Sunday

Arrived at church ready to do my v challenging evangelistic sermon (with altar call at end) but when I tell O about this he looks alarmed.  We need more prayer and preparation to do an altar call, he says.  And he's probably right.  I mean, it would be the first in years at St D's. Nonetheless, I'm a bit thrown.  O suggests we just ask people to stand and I go with this, although it's not the picture I'd had in my mind.

I wanted people to get themselves feeling in the position of Paul - through the sermon - and then to have an 'Ananias experience' at the end with O and I laying hands on them, the scales falling from their eyes, the Holy Spirit descending etc etc.  (I think if I'd explained all this in advance O would have been truly alarmed!)

Nonetheless the lesson of all this is better communication.  I really should have discussed it with O in detail before.

As it was, there was a lot of positive feedback on the sermon.  Two people stood but many more said they had been really challenged afterwards.  And three others signed up for next Alpha course.

So quite a success really.  thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment